tanac01 tanac02 tanac03

Pag's dance, as we know today, was created in the second half of the 19th century. In that time, a group of reformers, with the help of the town government, restored several, somewhat forgotten, traditions of the town. Pag's dance has always been performed followed by the music from "mišnjice" (a kind of an instrument).

Read more...
Top Panel
alt tag here
  • default
  • noheader
  • Narrow screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Friday 24 Nov 2017
Town’s history

povjest01 povjest02

Pag, such as we know, emerged between 1443 and 1474. On 18th May, 1443, having gained the permission of the Venice Senate, the townsmen began the construction fearing of the Turks who had penetrated up to Zadar by then. Before that, Pag had already been relocated two times. From the antique times, up to the end of the 4th century, it existed on a locality known as Caska, (Lat. Kissa, Cissa). Caska was submerged after an earthquake, and the people moved to the south, on a site today known as Stari grad (the Old town).

povjest03 povjest04 povjest05

In the 10th century Pag was completely urbanised; it had the city walls, towers, fortresses, squares, churches, monasteries, houses and palaces. The citizens were engaged in trading, fishing, cattle breeding; they were sailors or salt manufacturers. The village of Košljun was used as the town's port. According to historical documents, the name Pag was mentioned for the first time in the 10th century. In 976, the king Držislav liberated Pag from the Byzantine authority and appointed a Croatian district Prefect as the administrator of the town. Pag has had its good and bad times alike many Mediterranean towns. In 1192, the Church of St. Marija was built. Even today, it is the dominant structure in Stari grad. One of the most important events in the history of the town is the receiving of the Bull of the king Bela IV that granted Pag the status of the Royal Borough, on 30th March 1244. Afterwards, Pag has experienced a considerable economic growth.

povjest07 povjest08 povjest09

The life in Pag was based on the common law codex. The citizens were longing for their autonomy and were struggling for it by any means. The prominent figure was Belota Dobronić, a judge who tried to realize the idea of the legal and economical independence of Pag on the General Croatian Convention in Nin, in 1396. In 1376, the Croatian king Ludovik I confirmed the existing privileges of the Royal Borough to Pag, and granted it some new ones. In 1403, the king Ladislav sold his share of Dalmatia, Pag included, to Venice and thus sentenced Pag to a centuries-long life under the Venetian rule. In 1433 Pag received the Town Statute, one of the first documents of that sort in Croatia. In the middle of the 15th century, Turkish threat kept rising and therefore the inhabitants of Pag decided to build a new town. The construction works began on today's location of the town, on 18th May 1443. The urban plans of the new town were developed in Venice respecting the principles of architecture and urbanism of that time. Juraj Dalmatinac, a great constructor and sculptor participated in the development of the urban plan.

povjest10 povjest11 povjest12

On 18th September 1474, the citizens of Pag carried the miraculous Holly Cross in a big procession on their way towards the new town. The duke of Pag leaded the procession.

The charter written in the honour of the foundation of the new town says:

"In the name of the living God and the true Father, Son and the Holy Spirit, because without calling on them no beginning is worthily founded, it is the unanimous opinion of all the citizens of Pag that this town should be relocated to the port Katena, to the glory of God and the Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint Marko the Evangelist, Saint Juraj the Martyr and all the Saints; in honour and pride of our Most High Monarch and His Illustrious Highness, Francesco Foscario, the famous dodge of Venice by the Grace of God, and the whole our mighty government of Venice, under whose auspices are these foundations and the peace and safety of the noblemen and common people of this country and this island. Let there be laid the foundations of the churches and monasteries for holding the church service, above all for the Church of the Blessed Virgin Mary. The honourable gentlemen, reverends Vulkozije Gruboniæ, higher priest and Blaž Martiniæ, Pag's chancellor; gentleman Dišman Diševiè, of the late Luka and gentleman Blaž Diškoviæ who is going to make the note of all the legal works in connection to the mentioned construction, namely the gathered money which is going to be spent and paid out, were chosen by the town council of Pag to supervise the construction of the church.

The building of this church was initiated on Saturday, 18th May 1443, around 3 p.m. The reverend father in Christ and a gentleman, Laurencije Venerije, the archbishop of Zadar and our metropolitan by the mercy of God and the Apostolic Chair, consecrated the foundation stone, all the while accompanied by the prayers of the clergy, and a procession of the common people. The construction of the town, started immediately afterwards, at 4 p. m. This is documented in the foundations of the big tower beside the transversal gate. The esteemed gentleman Petar Faletro, laid the first stone and the reverend Marget laid the second one; each of them humbly praying the Lord, whose name we called on at the beginning so that these constructions, initiated by His power and mercy, would be completed in the same manner and protected forever and ever. Amen."

povjest13 povjest14 povjest15

The mighty and powerful walls, fortified by nine towers, were surrounding Pag and were defending it from all kinds of attacks. These circumstances provided peace to the people and prosperity to the town. This is the period of establishing economic contacts between Pag and the other districts. At the same time, many townsmen were studying at the Universities all over the Europe. In spite the resettling, the citizens of Pag have never forgotten Stari grad. In 1589, the Franciscans built their monastery on that location, whose remains still exist. On the Feast of the Assumption, people go to Stari grad to say prayers to the miraculous statue of the Mother of God of Stari grad. This miraculous statue is carried in a solemn procession to Pag, to the Church of the Assumption from where it returns to its sanctuary on the Nativity of the Virgin Mary, every 7th September. For centuries, the city government has been headed by a duke, elected from among dignitaries and appointed by the central government of Venice. The noble families of Pag, like Mišolić, Zorović, Portada, Jadrulić and especially Mirković, have had the important influence on the cultural and economic lives in town. Their palaces were the symbols of power, wealth and general prosperity of the town.

During the Croatian reformation, as the result of building up the national consciousness in Pag, the Croatian Party of Rights and the Croatian People's Party were growing stronger. In 1882, the Croatian People's Party won the majority of voices at the elections and Nikola Portada was elected the major.

povjest16 povjest17 povjest06

In the late 19th and the early 20th centuries, Pag had 4700 inhabitants. In later years, and especially in 1905, following the emergence of a blight, which had destroyed the vineyards, the number of population started declining. Many inhabitants emigrated, mostly to the USA, Canada and Australia. In the twenty thirties, the agrarian reform caused the fragmentation of landed properties that led to the weakening of the economic power of nobility and their gradual emigration. The members of the great noble families were immigrating to Italy, South America, some of them to Zagreb, Rijeka and other Croatian towns. Another wave of depopulation took place at the end of the Second World War. In this period, the nobility completely seized to exist. Difficult economic times have lasted for twenty years. The beginning of the twenty sixties was characterised by the rapid development of tourism. Tourism, as a new economic branch, has given a fresh impetus to the general development and therefore Pag expanded outside the old centre of the town. New quarters of the town have developed: Vodice, Blato, Murvica, Varoš, Bašaca, Bošana, Sv. Jelena. In 1968, the luxury equipped hotel "Bellevue" was opened. It disposed of 370 beds. Furthermore, beaches, auto-camps and new roads were being systematised. Pag has become an attractive tourist destination. Besides opening new coffee bars, disco-clubs and stores, many activities in the service sector have emerged.

 

Travel planner

Enter your information and calculate how to get to Apartments “Holiday - Adriatic”



Exchange Rates

Convert 

tu

  

Statistics

Content View Hits : 292324

Who is online

We have 77 guests online

Social Bookmark

Facebook MySpace Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Google Bookmarks RSS Feed