karneval04 karneval05 karneval06

Winter carnival begins on the first Saturday after the Epiphany and lasts until the first day of the Lent – Ash Wednesday. Every Saturday during this period, people organize masked parties in hotels and restaurants that culminate in the last three days with one big crazy party on the town's main square.

Read more...
Top Panel
alt tag here
  • default
  • noheader
  • Narrow screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Wide screen resolution
  • Increase font size
  • Default font size
  • Decrease font size
Saturday 18 Nov 2017
Cultural monuments

Church of the Assumption of the Holy Mary (Petar Krešimir IV square)

spomenici01 spomenici02 spomenici03

This church was founded on 18. May 1443. Originally it was meant to be a Cathedral, that is, the centre of the diocese. However, for some political and historic reasons it has never become a cathedral. Services are regularly held, every day.

spomenici04 spomenici05 spomenici06 spomenici25

 

Duke's palace (Petar Krešimir IV square)

spomenici07 spomenici08 spomenici09

The Duke's Palace was built in the 15th century. It served as the headquarters of the island and town's government until 1905. The dukes appointed by Venice had their seat there and the noblemen and town councils held their sessions there. A Duke's mandate lasted 33 months. Marko Lauro Ruiæ, a lawyer and a historian, worked as the Prefect in the Duke's Palace.

 

Skrivanat tower (Golija)

spomenici10 spomenici11 spomenici12

This tower is commonly known as the Town's Tower. This is the only one remaining of the original nine towers. It was built in the 15th century, and was used as a fortress on the northwest end of the town. Levelling the ground around the Tower shortened its height by 2 - 3 meters. The sea once lapped at its most protruding part, while the cannons protruded from slots on the front.

 

Kamerlengo tower (Branimir quay)

spomenici13 spomenici14

On the spot of today's headquarters of the city government, there used to be an octagonal tower named Kamerlengo, up to 1905. Its mighty construction protected the westerly, sea entrance to the town. Right beside it, at its southern part, there was the town's record office that burnt down together with the tower in 1905. Frane Budak, the Major in those days, had the tower reconstructed and established the headquarters of the city government in it.

 

Salt storehouses (Prosika)

spomenici26 spomenici27

The building of the salt storehouses begun in 1629, on the place where there used to be St. Peter's Abbey (fifth storehouse looking from the left). Jerolim Mondela, a merchant from Šibenik, built the first three salt storehouses. The other six were built during the reign of Austro-Hungarian Monarchy. These salt storehouses are unique monuments of the architecture of Pag and without equal on a global scale.

 

St. Frane's church (Sv. Frane square)

spomenici23 spomenici24

There was a monastery adjoined to the church of St. Frane, which was the centre of Franciscans who came to Pag from Stari grad. The monastery ceased to exist in 1785, when the last Franciscan, on his request asked to be transferred to Šibenik because of feebleness. However, the monastery was not officially closed until 1795. The first school of Pag was situated in the abandoned monastery premises. The whole complex was destroyed in 1854. The Church of St. Frane is what remained of the former Franciscan centre


Benedictine convent Of St. Margarita (Joso Felicinović Street)

spomenici16 spomenici17 spomenici18 spomenici19

The Benedictine convent of St. Margarita dates from 1483. The chaplain Juraj Slovinja initiated the construction. The noble family Mišolić is responsible for the building of a church adjoining the convent. There is also a chapel with a crypt beside the church.

 

St. Juraj's church (Juraj Dalmatinac Street)

spomenici20 spomenici21

One part of this church of the town's patron, St. Juraj (George), was incorporated in the northeastern part of the town's walls. Services are held only occasionally here. Mostly it serves as a gallery where exhibitions are held.

 

Travel planner

Enter your information and calculate how to get to Apartments “Holiday - Adriatic”



Exchange Rates

Convert 

tu

  

Statistics

Content View Hits : 290933

Who is online

We have 25 guests online

Social Bookmark

Facebook MySpace Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Google Bookmarks RSS Feed